Real Love

I realized something just a couple of hours ago... today marks 10 years since a certain handsome College Choir president (who would later become my husband) dropped an anonymous limerick into my college mailbox and became my "secret admirer".  Later, when I found out who that secret admirer was, I could scarcely believe my good luck!  I spent a lot of time in those early dating days pinching myself.  But you know what?  As intense as that early infatuation/love was-- as much as I counted the minutes until we could be together, and as much as my stomach flip-flopped when he walked in the room, and as much as my friends probably thought good old level-headed me had gone nuts-- I don't think I ever could have imagined how much better it would get.

Here we are, 10 years later.  We've moved across the country together.  We've had many late night chats that were more tearful than the warm and fuzzy ones in the early days of starry-eyed love.  We've spent a lot of time (perhaps all of the time?) having very little money.  We've talked and planned and worried over how to make ends meet-- together.  We've witnessed the unfathomable miracle of bringing three amazing little girls into the world.  We've ventured into parenthood together, and endured all of the ups and downs and shifting of our lives that has entailed.  Even when I see myself as a frumpy, lumpy Mama whose body has undergone the war zone of pregnancy three times, he reminds me that I am beautiful, and I believe him.

All of these things have made us into a more close-knit team than I ever could have imagined when I first found that little valentine.  Love is now more deep and more profound and more real than ever.  I can't imagine what I ever did to deserve this blessing.

My grandparents celebrated 60 years of marriage two years ago, and my other grandparents will do the same later this year.  If God sees fit to bless us with that many years together, and if love continues to deepen as it has, I don't know how my soul will contain it all!

To my not-so-secret admirer and valentine of 10 years... I love you madly.  May the adventure continue.

Then...

...and now!

Comments

Popular Posts