Our tried-and-true waffle recipe

We have varied our waffle making over the years, most recently favoring gluten-free dairy-free waffles, but in the past few weeks I've been coming back to the old Betty Crocker recipe, straight out of my red cookbook, that we used for many years at the beginning of our marriage.  Prepping whole grains to soak the night before is all well and good, and extremely healthy, but this recipe is perfect for a Saturday morning after an insanely busy week when thinking ahead on a Friday night is just not in the cards... but you still want waffles come Saturday morning.

Here's the recipe, with a few alterations to make things slightly more healthy.

Basic Whole-Grain Waffles


Ingredients:

2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup oil of your choice*
2 cups flour of your choice (we** traditionally used whole wheat, but now we use anything but... our latest favorite is a combo of buckwheat and spelt... 1 cup of each)
4 tsp baking powder
1 T sugar (or we use powdered stevia... like Truvia or Stevia in the Raw)
1/2 tsp salt

*after reading lots of scary things about canola and other vegetable oils, I now try to use exclusively olive oil and coconut oil in our cooking.  Since olive-tasting waffles are not a favorite, the obvious choice here would be melted coconut oil.  Or you could also use melted butter.  (Should I believe all the scary things I read?  Not sure, but might as well play it safe I guess.)

**I say "we" because more than half the time M makes the waffles!  Lucky me!

Instructions:

Get your waffle iron heating up.  Combine the first three ingredients and whisk together until eggs are combined.  Add the dry ingredients and mix the batter just until moist-- don't overmix!  (There may be a few lumps in your batter.)  Let the batter stand for five minutes or so until you can see bubbles.  Prepare your waffle iron (we have to grease ours liberally to prevent sticking, but I think it's just old... if you have a newer one you might not need to!).  Pour about 1/2 cup batter into the iron per waffle.  Our "Family Waffle Baker" makes a large square of four waffles, so we pour in about 2 cups of batter per batch.

Allow to cook for four minutes in the waffle iron, then remove with a spatula.  Top with whatever you like-- maple syrup, berries, nut butter... and enjoy your Saturday morning!

Comments

Popular Posts