Sunday, June 9, 2013

7 Quick Takes Sunday

I'm using this link up (a few days late) to give y'all some quick updates.  Enjoy!



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

--1--

M and I stayed up WAY past our bedtime Friday night to watch our yellow B's sweep the series against the Penguins.  (That is, M stayed up... I may or may not have slept through most of the third period.)


Yes, that's right, M and I were hockey fans in the days of yore before kids when we could actually stay awake to watch the games.

Did you hear that one of the Bruins played for almost a full minute in game 3 with a broken leg?  I mean, come on... that's hard core!  You've got to respect that, even if you're not a hockey fan.

And so, the next two weeks will bring some exciting Stanley Cup playoff games!!  (Which also means that we'll all be racking up a sleep debt staying up to watch all those games, but becoming a coffee zombie the next day is part of the fun, right?)

--2--

Dance recital day was today!



We were so very proud of our little dancer.  She loved every minute of her stage time!  Two very patient little sisters sat through a three-hour dance recital extravaganza during nap time and did remarkably well.  We have video, but I'd like to get permission from moms of her classmates before posting.  Stay tuned!

--3--

Tightwad triumph of the week:


I got this new comforter set for our bed (originally priced at $240) for only $35, thanks to an awesome sale and a generous gift card from my students.  SWEEEET.

--4--

We didn't have an official party for L this year, but we've been sort of drawing out her birthday celebration over a period of weeks... and the fun's not over yet!  Here she is at her first celebration-- our friends Andrew and Jill came over for dinner on a night very close to her birthday, and I figured it was as good a night as any to serve the pink cake she had been requesting.  That was her solitary birthday request this year-- a pink cake.  So we made a HOT pink cake.  I think you can kind of pick up on the flourescent color of the frosting in this short video I managed to get before the camera battery died:



(I just love her little smile.)

Yeah, Pillsbury now makes neon-colored frosting.  Who knows what it did to our insides, but it was thrilling to the birthday girl, so it's worth it, right?


--5--

C is getting to be quite the little artist... in the past week she has developed a real fascination (and attention span) for scribbling.  She was entertained by her sketchbook and crayons long enough for me to make dinner the other night... and that was a while!


She reminds me so much of her sister at this age:

(N scribbling around the age of 18 months.  She looks so artistic in that hat, don't you think?)
The only trouble is that now if she ever finds a pen or a pencil (left out by a big sister, usually) she doesn't hesitate to use it... wherever she can find a drawing surface.  Upon giving the girls a bath tonight, I found an elaborate scribble masterpiece in pen all over the side of the bathtub.  Ah well, we were going to replace that tub eventually anyway.  Might as well wait until Scribbles the Clown has learned the difference between paper and household objects.

--6--

Another Tightwad Triumph:


Mix equal parts blue Dawn and vinegar.  You now have the most effective (and cheapest) mildew and soap scum cleaner I've ever found.  My shower is sparkling.  (Or it was, until my 1-year-old took her pen to it.)

I know I know, I'm late to the party here-- it's all over the internet and the blogosphere and pinterest.  I actually heard about it word-of-mouth from my friend Missy.  That's how out of touch I am.  And I don't know who came up with the idea, so I can't give credit to that amazing individual.  Sorry, whoever you are!

Anyway, try it.  You'll love it.

--7--

Lastly, a few shots of L opening her cardboard blocks that came in the mail from Grandma and Grandpa (thank you!!!)... a perfect birthday gift for our little builder.

Happiness upon opening the birthday package!  (She opened it moments after emerging from her afternoon snooze, and she must have had a face-plant nap, because her bangs got adorably crimped... )

4 comments:

  1. Your kids look lovely! And that Hat look pretty on your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. N looks so grown up in that dance outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. N looks like a diva in that second dance recital pic! :)

    Great update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she's a total diva. After the recital, she said, "Mama, I want to go back on stage!!" She's loving that spotlight... :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...